The name Maria Laach is derived from Abbatia S. Mariae ad Lacum (abbey of Holy Mary by the lake, simplified as “Laach”) as the monastery used to be called in Latin. Maria Laach was founded in 1093 by count palatine Heinrich II of Luxemburg-Gleiberg. He donated his possessions for the formation of Benedictine order. The count died only two years later, his work was continued by his wife, countess palatine Adelheid. Heinrich II burial chamber was restored and can now be seen inside the church. 1802 the abbey was closed due to secularisation. In 1855 a fire consumed most of the buildings. In 1863 German Jesuits built their Collegium Maximum here and in 1892 Benedictine monks returned. They work in the abbey to this day. Several times a day the monks gather for prayer in the black robes of their order.